Sunday, October 22, 2017

KST - My Stairway To Heaven

KST - Kabalikat Sa Tahanan

We just finished the 24th cycle of KST last Wednesday.


What is KST again?

It is a program of Barangay Bel-Air for the household helpers to help them improve their skills and instill values in them.

This is my 7th year as a volunteer facilitator.  Time flies so fast when it is KST season.  It starts in May then ends in mid-October.

I remember distinctly.... OK, OK, OK.  I wrote it on the 1st page of my notebook:

KST - My stairway to heaven.

That came from Father Dave Concepcion when we had our recollection last May.

Everybody's goal is to get to heaven when we die.

Stairway because with each step you take, you get nearer and nearer to your destination.

I do believe it is a long climb up there but with KST, I now found an express lane, sort of.

Every year, we get a different set of participants.


My partner, Carina, and I had 4 of them. Florilyn, Eliza, Juffel and Cherry.


A lot of people ask me if I get bored doing the same things over and over again. 

With new participants every year, it feels like a new experience every time. 

If they are learning so much from us, what they do not know is that we are also learning from them.

I have a new realization this year.

We always take for granted our capacity to dream.

Dream for things we want or want to achieve. 

It may or may not become a reality but we still say, " Someday, I wish..... "

What I realized is that most  people are so afraid to dream or wish for something. 

They think they do not have to right to dream for a better life or a better future for their families.

When KST started last May, most of  the participants were shy, apprehensive, afraid that there will be discrimination, etc.  They feel quite insecure about themselves.

They did not want to talk or share in front of the group. 

One of my girls was actually so terrifed of speaking in front of the crowd that she quit mid way.

But because of the encouragement of the facilitators, they gained confidence and started to "bloom".

Hahahaha It sounds co cliche-ish but it is like you could see a rose bud unfurls its petal each Wednesday.

By the end of the program they now feel more confident of themselves and the most wonderful part is....

They now dare to dream!

Whereas before they were so afraid, but now, we helped them out of their quiet desperation and gave them hope.

You could see the transformation in them, the glow and sparkle in their eyes.

A few will succeed in life, others may not, but at least for some people whom we have given hope, it makes the time we served as facilitators worth it.

What do we get out of it? 

The feeling of accomplishment that we were able to make a difference in someone's life.

I got a few thank you notes from my participants.  I was so touched and humbled by their kind words.

Of course, I was also tickled pink! 

One participant said I was "mabait and maaalalahanin (try saying that out loud)"!

Another wrote: "Thank you so much po for your thoughtfulness, you always bring us something to eat."

"Thanks for the sweet smiles, encouraging words and assisting us in our projects."

"Maraming salamat po sa lahat na panahon, sa pakikinig, pag unawa sa amin kahit kami ay mga pasaway, pagkinig sa aming problema at pinapayuhan kami kung ano ang gagawin namin."

Don't you just love their kind words?!?!?!

I do!  I love KST as well!

I pray that the program goes on and on and on so we can help more people dare to dream.




No comments:

Post a Comment