Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Arroz Con Pollo Y Chorizo

I have been watching YouTube videos recently.  Mostly recipes. Then I came across several videos of the different ways of cooking arroz.

The videos were in Spanish! I hope I understood the instructions correctly!

I came up with my own recipe, a mish mash from several videos and my own imagination.

Arroz con pollo y chorizo


2 C. Japanese rice
1 pc. chorizo Pamplona, sliced
250 g. chicken breast fillet, cut into bite size pieces
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 white onion, chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. Carmencita sweet paprika
1 t. turmeric
1 70 gr. Del Monte tomato paste sachet
1 Knorr chicken cube
4 +1 C. water
1/2 C. green peas

Heat a pan or paellera over low heat.
Fry the chicken until half-cooked. Set aside.
Cook the chorizo in the same pan until the oil comes out. Set aside the chorizo.
Add the onions and tomatoes in the paellera and cook until soft. (5-10 minutes)
Add the peppers and the garlic.  Continue sauteing for 5 minutes.
Add the rice and toss to coat it with the oil for about 2 minutes.
Return the chicken and chorizo in the pan.


Season with paprika, turmeric, chicken cube and tomato paste.
Add 4 C. of water and stir.
Rotate the pan every 5 minutes. Stir and scrape the bottom so it does not stick to the pan "yet".
Cover with tin foil.
After 40 minutes, add the peas.
If the rice is not yet cooked to your desire doneness, add 1/2 C to 1 C. water.  Do not stir it anymore because we want the have the "tutong" or what they call "soccarat".


Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Remove the foil and let it dry if it is still "wet".

I like my arroz really wet and mushy to the point that it resembles risotto.


But other people want it dry.

To each his own!

My taste testers, FGM and Tita Mench, said that my experiment tasted good.

Cindy brought shrimps and I grilled it.

It might seem complicated and tedious but it's worth it!





No comments:

Post a Comment