Saturday, January 18, 2014

Callos

My family loves Callos. I do not eat it but I enjoy cooking their favorite at least once or twice a year.

I was so excited to use the beef knee cap I had in the freezer and was able to buy Jamon Iberico bones from the deli section of Rustan's, Rockwell.

Initially, I just bought a tray of frozen tripe, but I did not realize it would shrink! I had to buy again another tray in Rustan's, Rockwell. As I was about to pay, I realized, I forgot my wallet at home! Good thing, I met Shey and she paid for my tripe!!!

Thank you, Shey! You were a life saver!

My recipe is not for people with high levels of uric acid, cholesterol and blood pressure. It is a vertigo, heart attack and stroke waiting to happen all at the same time!

Imagine sautéing the garlic and onions in oil rendered from 250 grams of bacon! Then add all the other ingredients.... Whew!

Aside from the bacon fat, it also had about half an inch layer of fat from the boiled beef knee cap!!!!

Not for the faint of heart! Only for the brave!

Callos

1 K. Tripe

1 K. beef knee cap (I prefer it to ox feet)

Ham bones, preferably Jamon Iberico or Prosciutto

250 g. bacon

garlic, chopped

white onions, chopped

2 pcs. Chorizo de Pamplona or El Rey, sliced

1 Knorr beef cube

2 T. Patis ng taga Malabon1

C. Del Monte tomato sauce

1 small pack Del Monte tomato paste

stock from the boiled meat

1 can Molinera chick peas, skin removed

2 pcs. red pepper, cut into squares

20 pcs. green olives

1 t. Carmencita paprika powder

1-2 T. olive oil

Boil the tripe, knee cap and ham bones until tender. Drain and reserve the stock.

Fry the bacon, cut into small pieces and set aside.

Saute the garlic and onions in the bacon fat and olive oil. Add the chorizo slices, cook until the oil becomes orange.Add the boiled meat, Knorr beef cube and patis.

Saute over low heat for 5-10 minutes.

Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. When it boils slightly, pour in the stock and the cooked bacon.Let it boil and then lower the heat.

Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Season with paprika.

Add the olives and chick peas, when heated through... add the red pepper. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more.

Best served with crusty bread.

 

2 comments: