Saturday, August 4, 2012

Roast Chicken with Lemongrass and Garlic

FBS: 151

Arghhhhhh!!!!!!  My sugar went up!!!  Food is the real culprit.  Hmmmm I know I ate a lot yesterday because I had two celebrations.  I had Leche Flan at lunch and dinner.  Did I mention I drank mango juice at Yaki Mix?  And.... kare kare really elevates my FBS.  My doctor friends already told me last night not to check my sugar today but I had to know!  Tricia said it is ok because it is just a one time spike, so I will make sure it will not happen again.

My family had lunch here today but I was not sure it would push through because Gilly had to go to school today for her outreach program.  Ate just texted me last night that they will eat here.  The easiest thing to cook was Gilly's Bulalo and I had this 1.4 K. chicken in the freezer which I just roasted for lunch.  We also ate the Leche Flan from Pinky which everybody loved! Thanks, Pinky!

Roast Chicken with Lemongrass and Garlic



1.4 K. whole chicken
1 T. rock salt
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
3 stalks lemongrass
1 head garlic, cloves separated but no need to peel
2 T. butter

Place the chicken breast side up on the rack of the turbo broiler.  Set the temperature at 150 C/300 F and bake the chicken for 1 hour.  Increase the heat to 170 C/350 F and continue cooking for 30 minutes more and baste with the drippings every 5 minutes.

Turn over the chicken using two wooden spoons.

Then increase the heat  to 200 C/ 450 F, brush the chicken with the melted butter and drippings. Bake for an additional 20 - 30 minutes.

Let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before chopping it into pieces to retain the juice of the meat.

*I use kitchen shears to cut up the chicken.

If you want to live dangerously, pour the drippings over the chicken. Hehehehe That's what I did!

It took me 2 hours to roast the chicken but the result was moist, tender, falling off the bone,  not bloody chicken!  Maybe next time I should just get 2 small chickens so it will bake faster.  It would be easier to just buy roasted chicken at the mall or in the supermarket.  It costs less and will not consume 2 hours of electricity but roasting your own chicken will assure you that only natural ingredients were used.

I used the leftover chicken breast to make Grilled Chicken Sandwich with caramelized onions, mushrooms and Monterey Jack Cheddar for PD and topping for my salad.



Finally!  I was able to buy Bragg's Liquid Aminos seasoning.  It tastes exactly like Knorr or Maggi seasoning without added chemicals and MSG! It was my friend Dodai who told me about it.




l

Food Diary:

Breakfast:

2 eggs, scrambled with garlic, onion and tomato

Lunch:

1/2 C. rice
Roast Chicken with Lemongrass and Garlic
Vegetables from the Bulalo soup
Leche flan, very tiny serving

Dinner:

Salad greens with Chicken, caramelized onions, mushrooms and Monterey Jack Cheddar Cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment