Thursday, October 4, 2018

Life Is Short Eat Thai Food

Life is Short! Eat Thai Food!


It was the theme of our trip to Bangkok this time with my Baliw Travel Group:

Mona, Pinky, Doc Bernie, Cristina, Jodie and Eric.

Mona and I were the first party to arrive in Bangkok.


Tita Jit picked us up in the airport and went to a couple of supermarkets.

I wanted to buy the Tesco insulated bag I bought last December but they are not selling it anymore.

A quick meal at Chester's Chicken BBQ.


It was like our Reyes BBQ.

I always try one fast food product whenever I am abroad.  Strawberry Sundae at Mc Donald's.


Oh, look! Green Curry Chicken Pie!


I wonder how it tastes?  I am NOT that adventurous.

Tita brought us to Sampeng in Chinatown because I wanted to get some bags.

Dinner was at S&P.  We love the biscocho there.

My Thai food obsession for this trip was Pad Kra Pao Gai - Thai Holy Basil Chicken.

I ordered my 1st Pad Kra Pao Gai.


I was with Mona, Tita J, Ryan, Momo, the grand nephew of Tita J, and Tin.

Spring Rolls


Sausage Salad


Green Curry with Beef


Green Curry with Chicken


Fried Chicken with Som Tum


Meatballs Soup


Crispy Noodles.


I brought Sleeping Bear this time.


The Westie toy was too heavy plus it didn't have a sweet and loving facial expression.

We had breakfast at our favorite market behind the Charoenkrung Prachak Hospital.



Guess what I ordered?

My 2nd Pad Kra Pao Gai!


I also ate my favorite Khanon Buang.


Crispy rice wafer with boiled icing and sweet egg yolk threads.

Mona and I went to the city center to the big malls.

I love checking out the supermarkets and it is where I buy my cooking ingredients.




Our favorite in Bangkok!  We love to buy all kinds of embrocation, liniment and inhalers!


We went to MBK, Siam Center, Siam Discovery, Siam Paragon and Platinum Mall.

Hoy Tod - crispy oyster omelet in the food court of MBK.


For dinner, we went all the way to Maha Chai to eat at Thip Samai.


If you google where the best Pad Thai in Bangkok could be eaten, almost all the reveiws will tell you to eat at Thip Samai.  We had to line up for 30 minutes.



I was so excited to try their Pad Thai!


Mona ordered the Basic Pad Thai.


I had the Pad Thai wrapped in egg.



If you have been following my blog from the beginning, you know that I never say anything negative about anything.

I was so disappointed with the Pad Thai.  The expectation was so high.  It was such a let down.  No wonder when we told the Grab driver we will eat at Thip Samai, he said the locals don't eat there, only the tourists.

On our way home, the Grab driver asked us how was the food and told him we were so disappointed.  Again, he said, only tourists eat there and the locals do not go to that place.  He said that sometimes 300 people would line up outside!

I guess for most people it is the best Pad Thai in Bangkok.  But for me and the rest of the locals, we beg to differ.  The Pad Thai in food courts taste even better. 

I don't want to brag but my Pad Thai tastes better.

Haha! Well, that's the only positive thing about our Pad Thai adventure.  To know that my Pad Thai tastes better than the best Pad Thai in Bangkok!

The next day, we hired a van and picked up the rest of the Baliw Travel Group in the airport!




Next destination was Ikea!


We only had limited time because there was still a lot of activities for the day.  I had to choose between shopping and eating.

I opted  to eat instead of shop!

Swedish meatballs with mashed potatoes and lingonberry jam!


We unloaded the luggage in Tita's guest house then we went to the province to eat at Hua Kraboe.


My favorite Fried Fish!!!!!


Grilled river prawns


Steamed Suahe


Tom Yum Goong


Crab Fried Rice


Next stop was the market but it was quite late already and they were not able to buy much.

I bought dayap, eggplant and chili in the market.



We were so tired because it took more than 2 hours to get home.  I just bought dinner from the nearby eatery when we got home.

My 3rd Pad Kra Pao Gai!


Next day was the day for me to go around and explore the shopping malls!  But then it did not happen.  I felt so ill that I had to stay home the whole day. 


I had fever and chills.

My skin felt so painful because the fever wanted to break out of my skin.  I only ate a piece of bread just so I can take medicines.  In the late afternoon, I switched off the AC trying to sweat it out.  I felt the fever broke and took a cold shower.  It made me feel a bit better.  Hahaha Why not a hot shower? I was alone in the guest house and could not reach the water heater.

The rest of my friends rented the same van and went to Pattaya and did their temple run.




They brought home Pad Thai for me but I was only able to eat half because I did not have an appetite.

I was feeling a little bit better the next day and brought them to our favorite market for breakfast.  I bought Moo Ping, their version of pork BBQ.


Mango Sticky Rice!  I had to eat it.



Oh, did I tell you that Tita J, Ryan and Swanee, the helper of Tita got sick, as well.  I think we all caught the virus from the grand nephew of Tita who also got sick.  Nasty Bangkok flu bug.

On the day that I was home alone, Tita was brought to the hospital.  The doctor said it was just ordinary cough and cold.  She felt better already and followed us to the market via her suki tuk tuk driver.  On the way home, Doc, Eric and I rode with Tita. 


It was Eric's first time to ride a tuk tuk.

It was Mona's turn to stay home because she also caught the same flu bug. Pinky also caught the flu bug but it manifested on our last night and departure day.

Next stop was Chatuchak Weekend Market.


It was so hot! I bought watermelon slushy.



I was able to survive the heat because I was sipping the cold beverage but when I finished it, I felt so hot and nauseous I could not shop anymore.

All I wanted to buy was Snowball's onesie pajama.  I said to myself, Sorry Snowball.  This is the last time I am going to Chatuchak to buy you a dress!


I just waited for them in the air conditioned mall where the MRT station is located.


We took a Grab to Central World.  It was a long trip so were able to rest.

Lunch was at Kalpapruek.

I only ate Wanton Soup.


The rest ordered different Thai food.

Red Curry


Spring rolls


Something hahaha I don't know what it's called.


Pad Thai


I was happy to discover that there is a street food market outside Central World!






Next stop was Platinum Fashion Mall.  I just waited for them in the food court while they did last minute shopping.

I ate oyster omelet again.


Tita J and Ryan invited us for dinner at Coffee Beans by Dao.


What did I order????

My 4th Pad Kra Pao Gai!


The rest ordered lengua.


Noodle dish


Spinach and Tomato soup


Chicken ala king


I love their Garlic bread!


It was time to pack!  I was so overwhelmed.

I just dumped everything in my suitcases, duffle bag, oil cloth bag and sako bag! 


I had a total of 6 pieces of baggage (I had to buy 56 kilos baggage allowance) plus Tita's one basket of lansones for her friend in Manila but was confiscated in the airport when I got home.

Thank you Baliws for this much awaited trip! 


So much fun always with these bunch of wonderful people!


Thank you, Tita Jit, for always welcoming us in your guest house.


It is our home away from home.  I almost feel like a local already.

I enjoyed my trip with the Baliws even if I was sick on the last 2 days.

Maraming Salamat!

P.S.

I was not able to buy a toy for Snowball.  I thought I would have enough time to shop for her.  I bought her a pink onesie pajama, dental care, a bag of treats and


A slicker brush.  It says on the carton, Hours of enjoyment for your dogs and cats!


They did not lie! It is true!


Snowball allowed me to brush her hair and she was in seventh heaven!





No comments:

Post a Comment