Thursday, March 31, 2016

Lia's Food Journey Is 6 Years Old

Wow! I have been writing my blog for the past 6 years! I never imagined that I would last this long because I have a short attention span.

To date, I have posted 1,249 blog entries, almost 600,000 page views and over 300 recipes!

Thank you dear readers!

When I first started writing, I did not want to post pictures of myself but then I figured, my followers would be able to relate more if I did... if I put a face behind the story teller.

I have shared everything with all of you .... Told you funny and sad stories... But those were just snippets.... There is more ....

I want you to take a peek into my life when I was growing up... I want you to imagine how my passion for food inspired me to learn how to cook and eventually, share my recipes with all of you.

It makes my heart swell when friends and readers send me messages that their experiment was a success! I try so hard to keep a record of every measurement so people who try my recipes will not fail.

Aside from cooking, I have other talents as well which helped me become the person I am today.

The Story of my Life

I was such a cute little baby!



Hahahaha Well.... In my opinion, beauty or rather cuteness is in the eye of the beholder.

I took up Hawaiian lessons when I was 3 years old.



I had a "portfolio" which was submitted to an ad agency.






Auditioned for a champorado commercial! I remember they took shots and vtr of me while eating champorado.

I used to "cut classes" when I was nursery.  Hahahahahaha. I would bring out my "hat box" and eat my baon in the waiting area without asking permission from the teacher.

I taught myself how to play the piano.  



At that time, there were only 2 Chickering pianos in the Philippines.  One was with my family and the other one was with Mona's cousin.  Such a small world.

My formative years were spent at St. Theresa's College, QC.  The girl walking in front of me bullied me when I was in Prep! 



We shared a table in class and she drew an imaginary line in the middle.  She said, if my things go to her side of the table, then it was hers.  Chances of that happening were very high because I have always kept a messy desk.

I remember the beautiful rose shaped eraser that PD gave me from Hawaii was sequestered by her.

As early as 7 years old, I already loved wearing heels and bikini top!  



Can you see the corn dog the little boy was eating? Our cook used the empty Del Monte juice can to deep fry the corn dogs!

I have always been interested in how the food was cooked. My favorite hang out place was the kitchen.

When I was in Grade 3, I loved the pork bbq which was sold at the College Department.  



During recess, I would run all the way to the College Cafeteria just to eat bbq and run back to my classroom.  That started my habit of traveling for food.

I was such a fan of Princess Diana! I copied her hairstyle and clothing.



Fast forward.... I took up Elementary Education in College with specialization in Early Childhood Education.

It is a fact that I don't like children.  I tolerate them but I really don't want to be in the same room with them, if I can help it.  If not.... Then I have to endure being with them.

It did not matter what course in college I took as long as I graduate.  



I chose my course simply because it was the easiest! Our final exams were either a cross stitch exhibit, or I had to draw and color a story book for kids. I still remember laboring over Billy the Goat.  The goat was so greedy that he ate all the stones and he fell into a pond because he wanted to eat more.  

Hahahahaha relate much, Lia?

My practicum final exam, I had to teach 3-4 year old kids the concept of subtraction.  I brought Knick Knack chocolate biscuits to ELC.  I put 5 pieces of the chocolate covered biscuits on a plate. 

5 take away 1 (I ate 1 biscuit).  How many biscuits are left on the plate?

4 take away 1? And so on and so forth until I ate all the biscuits! Ahahahahahahahahahaha!

I took up violin lessons.  Even the dogs cry when I play.  The only piece I can remember is the different variations of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Stars.

Acrylic painting was another course I studied.  My Mom and I loved decorating during the holiday season.

I painted the backdrop of our Christmas decor on top of our roof in 1998.



I actually won First Prize in 1997!





Then in 1996, I just won 3rd place.



A baker always dreams of opening her own Pastry Shop. 

The name of mine as Puffery Pastry Shop.



I baked different variants of cream puffs.



Remember my short attention span? It lasted for 3 years.  

Sewing is another talent of mine.  I can sew curtains, table clothes, pillow cases, skirts, simple dresses and tops, costumes for halloween.... Sophie was a fairy and Gilly was Princess Aurora.



I know how to change a faucet's washer or change the socket of a lamp shade.

Jack of all trades!

I was applying for a clerk position at the Ateneo Law School several decades ago.  The interviewer asked me what am I good at and I enumerated all the things I know.

I felt that I had a well rounded education but her way of thinking was totally so different from mine.  She did not see it my way.

Even if a person takes up all the academic courses in life, it is not a guarantee that one would be successful and happy.

We all have different definitions of success, it just so happen, my definition is quite unusual from most people.

Life is an experience... It is a journey.... Meant to be enjoyed.... Meant to be shared... 

Lia's Food Journey is my greatest accomplishment.  

It is my legacy. 

I may be gone already from this Earth but my recipes will be handed down from generation to generation.

I was not created by God just to cook and eat but to give a piece of myself everytime a follower reads my post and tries out my recipes!

I think I might have found my purpose in life!


















4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Lia. I am a regular reader for several years now but I commented only a few times. Thanks a lot for sharing your recipes. I have cooked a few and they all turned out very good :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Lea! Thank you for always reading my posts and trying out my recipes!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Lia!! A week doesn't pass by that i do not check your blog. Its funny, real and inspires me to cook! I have tries a couple of your recipes and they are all delicious! Don't stop writing please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you so much for reading my blog and trying out my recipes!

      Delete