Sunday, March 6, 2011

Beef Caldereta

Last night, Mona and I were playing a game ... asking each other what food we would like to eat that we haven't eaten in years!!!  I told her Beef Caldereta or Beef Afritada.  I posted this morning in FB that I couldn't decide if I should cook the Caldereta or the Afritada... I didn't wait for the reply because I went to Cash and Carry supermarket for my weekly shopping.

I bought ingredients for the Afritada and started cooking when I got home.  I opened  FB and lo and behold!  My friends want me to cook Caldereta. I consulted several websites and cookbooks and got the general idea.  I had to rush to Rustan's in Rockwell to buy the liver spread and tomato sauce while I'm tenderizing the beef in the pressure cooker.

Beef Caldereta



1/2 K. Beef short ribs, cut into cubes
2 T. cooking oil
3  cloves garlic, crushed
1 white onion, sliced
3 tomatoes, sliced
2 C. water
1 Knorr beef cube 
 2 pcs. Purefoods Chorizo de Bilbao (Use Marca El Rey if it is a special occasion.), sliced
1/2 C. Del Monte tomato sauce
red and green pepper, cut into squares
1 potato, cubed
1 carrot, cubed
1/4 C. frozen green peas
1 small can Reno liver spread

Pat dry the beef and brown in cooking oil.  Set aside.
Saute garlic, onion and tomatoes until soft, add water and beef cube.  When it starts to boil, add the browned beef and transfer into the pressure cooker and tenderize for about 45 minutes.
Remove the beef and strain the broth, then return the beef and strained liquid to the pot.  Add the sliced chorizo, tomato sauce, potato, carrot and peppers.  Simmer until sauce is slightly thick, about 15 minutes.
Add the green peas and liver spread.  Cook until you get the consistency you like.


Some of my friends told me to add grated cheese but I could not find in the fridge.  Nevertheless, the Caldereta experiment was a success!!!  I even gave Tita Portia and saved some for dinner.  The whole cooking process from start to finish took less than 2 hours.

I have to think again what to cook for my next experiment.  Perfect activity for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment